For those of you wondering where is Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy S2 smartphones, I have some good and bad news.
The good news is that there are working versions of CM12 ROM alpha, which will give you the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop.
The bad news is that these ROMs are still in “alpha” stages, meaning there are many bugs. However, if you do want to try out the Android 5.0 Lollipop today, you can make a backup ROM, try Lollipop, then restore your previous ROM.
For GT-i9100 version, everything seems to work except for camera and Play Store. This is a deal breaker for most of you since without Play Store you cannot install any apps. But, you can surely try out the new Lollipop UI and mess around settings.
For SGH-i777 version, you will also have some problems with Play Store, similar to the GT-i9100 version. Oh yeah, this one is very unstable and will reboot on you easily so be careful but the camera does work.
For T-Mobile SGH-T989 S2 users, you are in luck as this version is actually better than the rest with almost everything working except incoming calls, 1080P video recording, and must keep wifi turned on at boot (otherwise will reboot on sleep).
Overall, it’s still WIP (Work In Progress) and in a few weeks we should have all the kinks worked out. In the meanwhile, if you must try it today, just make a backup ROM, try Lollipop, then restore your ROM.
For installation on GT-i9100 or SGH-i777, please follow How to Install Android 4.4 KitKat ROM on Galaxy S2!
IF YOU HAVE CWM RECOVERY OLDER THAN VERSION 188.8.131.52, UPGRADE your CWM Recovery to latest version by downloading the zip and installing with your CWM recovery OTHERWISE ROM WILL NOT INSTALL!
Download and install CWM Recovery 184.108.40.206 for KitKat custom ROMs (ONLY FOR SGH-T989!!!)
To install, reboot into recovery, make backup ROM, wipe data/factory reset, install ROM, install Gapps, and reboot. (If for some reason you end up in a bootloop, reboot into recovery, go to Advanced Wipe for TWRP or Mounts & Storage for CWM, format/wipe /system, then re-install ROM.)
- Want a height-adjustable keyboard? Check out How to Install LG G3 Keyboard!
- Want Flash Player? See How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2/4.4.3 KitKat!
- If you want some awesome audio, check out Viper4Audio FX MOD, which you can install on this ROM to enhance your music 100%.
- If you want to run your apps in tablet/hybrid/custom DPI mode, see our Xposed App Settings guide.
- If you want PIE Controls, see our LMT Pie Control guide.
- Need to run apps that check for root? Check out How to Run Apps that’s don’t run on rooted Android!
- Want to listen to YouTube music with screen off? Check out How to Playback YouTube videos with Screen-Off!
- Need multi-window? Check out How to Add Multi-Window to Any Rooted Android!
Q: My 3G/4G LTE data is not working!!!
A: See How to Fix 3G/4G LTE data by Manually Setting APN on Android!
Q: I don’t have Play Store nor any of the Google apps!
A: You forgot to install Gapps, reboot into recovery and install it! (See above for download.)
Q: The ROM is not booting!
A: Try formatting /system and re-install ROM, sometimes the system partition gets corrupt and you may have to try 2 or 3 times before the ROM boots.